[NTLK] NEWTON & MUSIC Apps! (was: Carpman has left the Arena.)

From: Gary Zambrano (Gazam_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 09:59:25 EDT

John Johnson and John Powell!

Yes!!!
A Newton audio program would be hot. As would a general MIDI type sequencer.
Which I think is a very doable thing. I think most current developers have
no idea how cool and how much in demand this type of thing would be.
It could re-establish the Newton to a whole new sector and breathe life into
the "dead" platform!

Imagine an eMate with a MIDI sequencer, it's got it's MIDI compatible serial
port. I rather carry that or my MP2000 instead of a PowerBook. And I don't
think it would need all that super megahertz stuff to run one.

This Newton MIDI program would be like an late 80's/early 90's sequencer
that used to run on Mac SE's and Plus's. Like the black and white versions
of Performer.

Simple, elegant, MIDI files transferable to the desktop as general MIDI
files which could be imported into Desktop sequencers such as Digital
Performer, Cakewalk for PC's and any other MIDI/Audio sequencer!

It's doable! And yes I would buy it! Man, if I had the patience and time to
learn Newton Script language...

It would be a killer replacement to the Roland PMA, which kinda sucks and is
way to expensive. Which brings up another idea...What if Roland bought the
Newton OS from Apple and incorporated it into their keyboards and products!
Oh! That would kick Korg's behind or any other manufacturer for that matter!

I always notice how in software archives, music is never a category. But
with some encouragement and maybe some collaborative effort to develop a few
more music related apps, I think that it would be a great addition to ATA
developments and probably would encourage more developments like that.

As long as there is a need (and new better uses!) for a Newton, it is not
dead.

Perhaps we can measure how many other Musician Newton Users there are here
by the replies!

- Gary
(Drummer, Digital Performer user)

> You want a wish list? I'd love to see a REAL music program that
> would access a PCMCIA audio card for composing. A genuine PMA
> (Personal Music Assistant). I've been blown away with the number
> of people who wanted MusicPad. A few musicians out there?!
>
> Again, it's 'cooler' now. In part because it's lasted as long as
> it has having been drop-kicked. Partially because there are things
> happening now with it (ATA, SER-001, replaceable backlights, etc)
> that are happening 3 years after it was dropped. Amazing. My Casio
> E-105 wasn't like that. Dead the second the 115 came out. We can
> certainly keep it going with new innovations... I hope we do. As
> for the list... what about finding a centralized place (UNNA?
> Newted?) where current projects, and wish-projects are listed with
> links to who is working on them?

A centralized place for wish list apps and current development...musician
Newton users...hhmm, new project?