[NTLK] infonewt.com

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 08:22:39 EDT

>he trouble is...everyone is used to www.info-newt.com. Switching it
>to dyndns would be confusing, break all the links one web sites
>everywhere, etc.

>Thanks for the ideas, though.

I think you might wish to check out dyndns again, they have more features
than they used to provide.

The custom DNS service for the .com, and the webhop service to go with it,
are things in which I think you might be interested.

Register your info-newt.com with them, register it with NetworkSolutions
and refer it back to the DYNDNS site, and it All Should Work (I think).

I'd go with cable rather than DSL, partly 'cos I don't find the phone
companies very responsive, and when I was napster'ing a while ago from the
T1, the cable modem people were always fast, DSL always was pretty lame. I
get 200k/sec routinely all day long (depending on the site of course) with
cable here near Ann Arbor, MI. No getting up at 2AM like the phone company
ads try to imply (cannot be that the phone comany would MISLEAD you, no...).

Anyway I still think it would work... the Webhop service they provide would
do what you want.
I think all you'd have to do is pay $30 to dyndns for the info-newt.com
"custom"
name (since you've already bought the .com from Network Solutions or
someone, you don't have to do taht part a second time), and then redirect
Network Solutions or whomever you registered with
to use dyndns. Set up the webhop service from dyndns to redirect from
*.info-newt.com to people.home.com/infonewt or wherever you get set up, and
you should be done. On the cheap, too.

Their info is kinda spread out a little but
<http://support.dyndns.org/mydyndns/custom/faq.shtml#offline> and
<http://www.dyndns.org/webhop/>

would be part of what you might wish to skim.