Re: [NTLK] Do Flash Cards get fragmented?

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 18:17:23 EDT

On 27 Aug 2001 00:18:52 -0400, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> * Ray Kloss <raykloss_at_mac.com> on Sun, 26 Aug 2001
> | There, it says it all.
>
> Yes, they do.
>
> No, defragmenting them is not all that useful. The primary reason for
> defragmenting physical rotating media is to improve seek times. If data
> being read is contiguous then the read heads do not need to move as much
as
> they would with discontiguous data. The reason FAT filesystems need to
be
> defragmented regularly is because the allocation algorithm was designed
for
> 150K diskettes, and it does not scale at all. Other filesystems, like
JFS
> and EXT2, rarely need to be defragmented, if ever.
>
> Solid state media has effectively zero seek time no matter how badly
> fragmented the data might be. There are potential issues with block
reads,
> but the delays are microseconds or even nanoseconds. This is negligible
> compared to the millisecond seek times of rotating media for all but real
> time systems (which Newton is not).
> --
> Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net> \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball
should be
> Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container
and
> PGP Key: at a key server near you! \ kept under refrigeration.

Reading seems OK but fragmentation is the greatest problem when you need a
continuous bloc of storage space: the same goes for system memory when you
have bits of data and partially deleted binaries you tend to find 'out of
memory' cropping up too many times especially when space is getting limited.
I used to carry no end of works documents and that was in the time when I
hadn't even a proper mac to which to upload but all it (eMate) can carry is
NIE, a not yet functional Eudora, and a couple of documents and leaving less
than half a megabyte. System memory or storage, there must be an utility
that would relocate the files closer together, kill the junk-bytes and
maximise the available space. Possible?
John J. <|:-?