Re: [NTLK] [OT] ANN @home is still up!

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 09:42:02 EST

Salutations,

  From what I understand there are a few major points to all of this:

  1.) AT&T, Cox communications, and Comcast are the 3 major users of
Excite_at_home.

  2.) Excite_at_home says they are losing @ $6M a week due to outdated
contracts.

  3.) These contracts only give @ 30% of the income to @home.

  4.) Since @home is losing so much money, they went to court asking if
they can close shop or renegotiate the contracts.

  5.) The judge said they can close but he strongly urged them to continue
to negotiate.

  6.) AT&T has offered to purchase @home, but they are offering $337M.
Almost everyone thinks this is absurdly low. Some even value @home @ $1B.

  7.) AT&T will not budge on the purchase price. And since they will not
budge, they are hoping the troubles with @home will force people to leave
the service (and go with AT&T's broadband service), thereby reducing the
number of subscribers, devaluing @home, and forcing @home to sell at the low
price.

  8.) And since AT&T is playing hardball, @home disconnected AT&T users but
still has service to Cox & Comcast.

  Personally, I would pay a bit more for cable modem service. I have had
almost no problems. There are supposed to be @ 4.5 million users. If they
raised prices $10 a month then Comcast would be making $4M a month. If they
were able able to renegotiate a better percentage then they would be in even
better shape.

  I have read some articles today that say there is a very good chance @home
will come out of this and no one else would be affected.

  And getting downloads as high as 300k per second is a wonderful thing.

David