[NTLK] [OT] 3C589 in Mac

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 16:51:42 EST

First of all, please forgive what is a question which is somewhat
off-topic, but I suspect that if I am to find an expert, it is here...

My question: I am likely to soon be getting a used PowerBook 5300 (my
first PowerPC PowerBook). Since I want to be able to connect it to the
LAN at work, I started rummaging through my PCMCIA Ethernet card
collection for a Mac-compatible card. Unfortunately nothing I have has
vendor-supplied Mac drivers. The closest I have is a couple of 3C589C
combo cards. Since this is actually my preferred Windows/Linux/BSD card,
I was wondering...

Is it possible to somehow use the drivers from a Farallon EtherMac
Powerbook PC Card with a 3C589 on a Mac? i gather that it should work
from a hardware standpoint, but is there something in the driver to
prevent the card from being detected? Anybody else try this before?

Thanks...
<<<John>>>