Re: [NTLK] [OT] Unlock code for NewtFTP ?

From: rkadowns_at_mac.com
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 10:07:36 EST

Why should I have to conform to a Windows world? To make you happy?

I think not. They way I see it, Windows and its associated protocols
and everything that goes with MS is the proprietary non-conforming
computing world. I just found out today that I cannot get DSL where I
am moving because Qwest made a deal with MS to bundle MSN with the DSL
service. Guess what, the software is Windows only. I don't complain
about it however, because that is my point of view. In a couple of
months I will give up my T1 and revert to modem. One day an alternative
to the MS proprietary crap will be available. Sacrificing my Mac
Experience for a Windows Experience is no fair trade. I'll stick with
my actual OS of which the rest of the world is based off of.

You can download Stuffit Expander and Hotline for windows and download
the stuff yourself. It is NOT proprietary. If the software is PPC only
rather than Newt packages, I see that as an advantage. Again, that is
my point of view. Nobody wants to create or can create a PPC emulator,
so your choices are limited.

I hate to take the bait to a flame war, but this post below I feel goes
outside the boundaries of this list. The Newton is as useful on the Mac
as is the PC. Proprietary NetBOUI or Appletalk or not.

To hear complaints in public about the inability to get hacked wares for
the newton because of false allegations of proprietary protocols and
crap really disturbs me.

Coming to you from the industry standards compliant UNIX operating
system MacOS X.

Cheers.