Re: [NTLK] Duplicate AppleTalk computer entries

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 18:28:33 EST

On 12/4/01 4:57 PM, "Filmer, Paul E." <pfilmer_at_nsf.gov> wrote:

> I often have trouble connecting to my Mac through AppleTalk. I try and try,
> then give up and go back to Serial, or pass the pkg to my PC to use
> Ser57600.
>
> My Newt can see my Mac in the correct zone, but never makes a connection to
> NCU. In the "Connect to" listing on the Newt, my Mac is listed several
> times. All of these listings appear with a check mark. Since the Mac's IP
> is dynamic, I'm wondering if this is causing problems.
>
> I remember locating the appropriate entry/slot in a soup (System?) ages ago
> and zapping all the slot's contents to start over again, but for the life of
> me I cannot locate it again. I tried "Forget Me" and "Prefs Cleaner," but
> they don't seem to find what I'm looking for.
>
> Any hints on how to clean up all these listings? I think SBM Utils had
> something, but that's on my other Newt...

The problem with AppleTalk might be caused by large zones. The unit timed
out before every device has replied to the initial query of the new device
on the network.

I know you don't have it, but SBM Utilities has a nice module called
"Recent". In that module, you will want to check the item "Connection".
Using a soup editor, you can also look for an entry with a tag of
"_M_connAppleTalk" in the System soup.

-Laurent.