Re: [NTLK] eMate screen not responding to pen input

From: Jeroen Goulooze (jeroengoulooze_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 09:17:28 EST

hmm, did you have any trouble lately opening your emate??

As I see it, there is a flaw in the design of the emate: the flatcable going
from the logicboard to the screen can get trapped under the spring that is
holding up the lid. When that happens the flatcable gets punctured and most
of the time this happens at the place where the connection for the touch
screen is (hence no reaction to pen input). Another thing happening (the
cable next to it) is stripes on one half of the screen.

You can find out wether or not this is the case by opening your eMate to
look at the spring and check the flatcable.

The cables can not be bought anymore. There are cables like that but without
the twists and turns the one inside the newton has, so if you find one you
can build your emate in a new perspex case if you want to;-) Even a
professional like Apple does that, we have seen an example of that today.

If that it is the flatcable acting up, there is probably nothing you can do
except sell the still working parts. I had to do it. But I remember that my
machine developped the error, then started working again end after a while
it was really gone. If the cable is punctured, maybe removing the spring
will help.

It might be something for the faq. People might want to remove the spring in
order to prevent this (I will when the waranty on my new machine has ended).
There is however one drawback if you do so: the lid will not stand up
unsuported anymore.

Jeroen Goulooze