Re: [NTLK] GeekSafe (was: need password generator for MP 120 with OS 2.0)

From: Markus Rasch (m.rasch_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 12:49:58 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 6:33 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] need password generator for MP 120 with OS 2.0

> Speaking of GeekSafe, I did write an update which is available on UNNA and
> on my web site <http://home.cox.rr.com/nemesys/>. Among other things, the
> new version can now use the entire screen on a MP2x00 or eMate, or you can
> still use it in a floating window (see preferences). The new version has now
> the ability to export all or a selection of your passwords and other
> information in a new note in the notepad, so that you can later export them
> to the desktop. So, if something wrong happens to your Newt, you're not
> locked up.
>
> There is apparently a little bug if you use extended characters as a
> password that I haven't been able to work on so far, so beware...

I was looking for something like GeekSafe too, but the problem is, GeekSafe does not
encrypt the enterd passwords. The password protection of GeekSafe does only prevent the
application from beeing started, but the soups are always readable. That means, if you use
the DIL-Tester or SBM Utilities you can access the entered Passwords very easily.

That is not safe enough for me, so is there any way to add a DES-Encryption mechanism for
the GeekSafe Soups?

Markus