Re: [NTLK] NOS 2.0 ROM in Sharp ExpertPad?

From: gopi_at_sin.sloth.org
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 18:12:44 EST

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Darl Singh wrote:

> Just remember there were 2 versions of the 120 (1.3) that came out: one with
> minimal internal memory, the other (upgradeable) with 2 MB of internal.
> AFAIR, the second was the only one with the removeable ROM card - and you
> couldn't upgrade the early version due to memory limitations.......possibly
> the death-knell for this project?

Are you sure about that? This is the first I've ever heard of any issues
upgrading either model MP120.

Remember, the "1MB" MP120 had about 640k of DRAM with the rest being
flash. The 2MB version had ~1.4MB of flash and the same 640k of DRAM. The
OS 1.x ROMs were all 4MB; the OS 2.x ones are 8MB.

> Other point: the 1.3 EPad had a slightly different system to the 110/120: it
> kept the software contrast slider rather than the thumbwheel.

The ExpertPad/OMP/MP100 also had a different (more vertical
pixels) LCD. The MP110 changed to a more standard LCD panel for cost
savings, I believe.

If you don't have hot air rework experience, don't even _think_ about
attempting this - only the MP120 and onwards had socketed ROMs.

The only way this would work is if Apple, in designing the Newton ROM,
decided to make it work. They might have - you might be lucky.