Re: [NTLK] GPS PDA??

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 19:14:39 EST

>On 11/1/01 2:05 AM, Edward Cheung wrote:
>
>I was reading the news at the following links:--
>
>http://www.cnn.com/2001/BUSINESS/asia/10/31/stoxclosewed.biz/index.html
>
>When you scroll down the page, you will see a picture
>of a.... some kind of a GPS devices, color screen and
>pretty much the size of a newton. It is made by
>Matsushita (Panasonic). anyone seen this before? anyone
>from Japan??

Hi Ed,

Sorry to be so long in responding.

Matsushita is a major retailer as well as OEM provider.

This looks like just a basic GPS map based GPS with no PDA function.
While I have not seen this particular model, one's like this are common.
In Akihabara, you will find a huge selection of GPS devices such as this.
 However, many of them are non-export models.

One area that GPS is in great use over here is in cars. Traffic is such
a problem around the Tokyo area, that a GPS is very useful for navigation
and traffic avoidance.

If you want a smaller GPS device, you are in luck as they come in all
shapes and sizes. The smallest that I've seen are wristwatch sized ones.
 No map of course.

I've heard that there are cell phones with GPS now, but have not seen a
model.

The big push is now on Internet enabled cell phones. The displays are
getting bigger and bigger, while the phones are staying relatively small.
 The latest model that I saw from DoCoMo could display 15 characters
(Japanese) by 10 lines. So in English, that would be almost 30
characters by 10 lines.

If you are looking for a PDA type device with GPS, I believe that I've
seen a Sharp Wizzard model that will take a GPS add-on. Of course
everything is in Japanese -- no English version. Not even sure if it was
an export model.

Right now, thanks to Marco and others, I am now looking at Newt options
for a GPS add on.

Sushi