Re: [NTLK] Wireless LAN

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 12:19:34 EST

On 12/12/01 12:06, "oliver.brose_at_t-online.de" <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de>
wrote:

> I contacted Hirochi Noguchi from http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/ regarding
> his Lucent WLAN driver, this is taken from our correspondence:
>
>>> Unfortunately, I cannot connect to the NCU on my iBook.
>>> I tried both "computer to computer network" and "software basestation", both
>>> channel 6 & 3, AppleTalk is set to use AirPort.
>>> The LED in the card is active and searches for the Mac, but is unable to
>>> find it.
>>>
>>> Is there anything one has to pay special attention to?
>
>> Current driver supports peer-to-peer connection ("ad-hoc" mode) only.
>> That mode uses channel 3 in Japan. (may be dependent upon the country)
>> Connections via base-stations ("infrastructure" mode) is not supported
>> yet.
>> Then, which is the version of an AirPort software on your iBook ?
>> I have heard that AirPort version 1.2 and 1.3 is not compatible.
>> And I could let the driver work between PowerBook G4 running AirPort 1.2.
>
> I think about downgrading to AP 1.2 for testing, but I have no clue whether
> this could have serious negative impact on my OS9.2.2, and I have no idea
> where to find AP 1.2 yet.
>
> Again, if *anyone* has more information on this, please let us know.
>
> Laurent, was it you who is working on that driver as well?
> Are you in contact with Hirochi?

Yep, I started working on it, but I'm stuck right now and I didn't have the
time to look carefully what's the problem. I was planning to check with
Paul, but like I said, I didn't have the time to sit, take a few hours, step
through the code and find what's the problem. I have a pretty empty driver,
where all required methods are there, but without the actual code that
should be performed when one method is called, but when I insert my card, I
get a strange error. I had some problems setting up the proper debugger to
try to discover what the OS doesn't like about my driver. I had some issues
recently with my hardware that basically sucked all the time I had to spend
on some projects, so I haven't made any progress. BTW, if somebody has a
Blue & White G3 motherboard for donation, let me know. I will even pay
shipping!!!

-Laurent.

buzzword-compliant: [also `buzzword-enabled'] Used (disparagingly) of
products that seem to have been specified to incorporate all of this month's
trendy technologies. Key buzzwords that often show up in buzzword-compliant
specifications as of 2001 include `XML', `Java', `peer-to-peer',
`distributed', and `open'.