[NTLK] AW: AW: AW: AW: MP2100 Problem

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 03:59:48 EST

Dear Paul,

Please accept my apology.
I am sorry that you felt offended by my previous posting!
Believe me, this was not intended at all!
I NEVER would state that your system patch is responsible for all the reported problems!
And to be honest: I have no experience at all with your system patch - so how could I blame you?
I am absolutely convinced that you have done a great job with 710031.
Lots of Newtoneers use it without any problem, as the list proves.

The question of the posting I replied to was how to remove a (probably corrupted) system patch for what ever reason
and I reported MY OWN SINGLE experience how I managed that.

But please let me explain how I got my experience:
I have a german OS and so the 710031 wont work, as you said.
I never tried to install it.

My situation was as follows:
I got a used german MP2k1 with the following behaviour:
You could switch it on, the Newt tried to start and froze.
I was told that the Newt was taken from store (after many years) and had been switched on only once with the result that it froze.
So my first idea was to do a complete brain wipe in order to delete all possible problematic extensions.
I did this several times (including leaving the Newt unpowered for 8 hours to dicharge the super-cap) with the following result:
You could switch it on, start with the well known dialog to fill in all your personal data, to calibrate the pen and so on.
Depending on how lucky you were, the Newt froze in the middle of this procedure, at random positions.
At this point the complete user area of the memory was expected to be quit clean (empty).

So the only reason could be either a hardware-problem or a problem with installed patches in flash memory - do you agree??

I had no clue which patches had been installed before and I had no idea how to remove them.
I was near the point to give up, but then I had the idea to exchange the ROM - Board with an US one, which was defective in addition.
I admit, this was really adventurous and with a high risk. Of course the Newt did not start with the defective board, but then I replaced the defective board with the original one and had a few seconds with a very hot shower across my back: but finally my little Newt decided to survive (and performed probably the procedure of cleaning up the flash memory as you described in a previous posting).
I dicovered that the displayed ROM-Version changed (back) to D2.1 (747129)-0.

In fact from now on I was able to finish the startup procedure and to use the Newt normally. As you probably can understand I was more than happy. Nevertheless I was curious enough to try installing the latest german patch.
I was able to install it, the Newt tried to restart and I was back to square one. Exactly the same behaviour.

This was the time I posted my question to the list on how to remove a corrupted system patch. But I got no real answer.
So I had to go through the same risky procedure again and again I was lucky and the Newt survived.
Up to now the Newt works fine without this german patch. So I believe rather not that I have a hardware problem.

What is the conclusion?
1) I still have no idea what the real reason for this behaviour is.
2) The patch is known to run on a huge number of Newts without any problem.
3) Maybe there is a problem with the flash ROM on my particular device ( I do not know how often and in which cases this area is being accessed, but from time to time I still get strange error messages like -10008 doing nothing but switching the views from the extras drawer from internal to external, to extensions and back to unfiled...)
4) Maybe the patch I have is corrupted or it causes even more access to the flash ROM memory, which lets the Newt freeze, I do not know.
But I definitely do not want to apply this dangerous procedure again, thats why I am interested in a serious method for removing patches.
5) In my particular case removing the system patch solved the problem.

Please take my apaologies again.
I expressed myself so badly that you misunderstood what I really wanted to say.
I am really not the guy who offends others (on the list) and I appreciate the good atmosphere on the list.
Let us keep it this way!

Cheers
Johannes