Re: [NTLK] eMate - memory requirements

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 14:57:12 EST

On 12/13/01, Radovan Biciste quoth:
>I am asking kind eMate owners for help.

not sure I fit into this category, but I'll try anyway...

>1) What's in eMate's ROM? There is 8 MB ROM !!!

Well, you've got the notepad, the dates and names applications, the
works application and all the system software and preferences.
basically you've got enough to put together a decent little laptop
package. what doesn't it have? well, you'll need to add NIE, email,
web browser, and a few other odds and ends depending on your use. As
I say, it's usable for word processing and PIM stuff right out of the
box, the extras just make it nicer.

>2) How much eMate's memory will take Newton Internet Enabler 2.0,
>NewtWorks, SimpleMail, NewtScape and some telnet app? Is that possible
>to fit in?

It'll be tight. NewtWorks is (for the most part) in the ROM. There
are a few add on's but they're smallish. NIE 2.0 is a bit bloated
IMHO, I'd go with 1.1 unless you need ethernet ability. SimpleMail
and Newstcape are nice and compact. Well written software. If you're
really tight on space there are older versions of both that use even
less space, but offer less options.

Of course the more you use it, the more stuff you'll put on it.
There are a few very nice NewtWorks add on packages that really turn
it into a full fledged office application.

Even a 2mb card (equivalent to a harddrive) will make life nicer. If
you're Woo, you'll need more. Mere mortals do fine with around 4-6mb.
Remember that the emate uses a slightly different linear card than
other Newtons, be sure to ask. A DRAM (rough equivalent to desktop
RAM) upgrade will make it speedier and even better yet. If you really
want to do a lot of Internet, I'd strongly lean towards the DRAM
upgrade (hard to find) or just go with a 2100 or upgraded 2000.

For What It's Worth: I've got an emate and a U2000, the U2000 does
most of the internet work of the two and the emate does most of the
writing/arty type things, which are then beamed to the 2000 to think
on, and touch up on the go.

HTH.

later,

--