[NTLK] Oh Well

From: MuHammed Lonon (mjl3781_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 19:29:16 EST

When I went to the Apple site and downloaded NCU1.0
(yes I do now know that it is 1.0!!!) I noticed the
basically all the software Apple made for newton was
just sitting there waiting for me to download. So like
an idiot I decided to upgrade from my comfortable and
WORKING NIE 1.x to NIE 2.0(actually this would have
been necessary as I am getting a network card, but tht
is not the point). I also upgraded my version of
NetHopper...little did I know....

Anyway to make a long story even longer. After wiping
out the onld and bringing in the new nothing works...I
cant even make a freaking phone call. Now all Newt
says is that it ain't getting a dial tone from the
modem. So here's the sum:
Specs: 14k Megahertz PCMCIA modem model(xj1144)
        Newton 2100(upgraded)
        Rom version 2.1(717260)
        NIE 2.0
Scoop: When I downloaded NIE2.0 it asked I didnt
delete the old setups and instead chose to convert
them to new ones for 2.0 when it asked me.
        I might have plugged the modem into an thernet
jack on campus. I remember reading in one of the
manuals that this might damgae the modem and newton.
        I ran the modem using just the batteries to
get a look at the power drain. I don't know if the
modem has its on battery.
        There are 2 types of errors that I am getting
one says that the connection may have been dropped the
other says no dial tone even though I am dialing from
a home phone.
        There is no dial tone but the PHONE app will
ocassionally simply keep running without it. It wont
work even after I frozen all internet related(even
NIE)packages.
        Also when I reboot occasionally the UPGRADED
NewHopper says that it is not compatible with my OS.

I am very loathe to do ANOTHER brain wipe. I am
currently waitiing on the network card to come in to
test and see if it is jsut the modem. I doubt about
the plugging into network thing because I plug my
storage card into the slot right after and it works
fine

=====
MuHammed Jamal Lonon

390 Manville Saint Charles Road Bishopville, SC 29010

(803) 428-6757 (perm.)

mjl3781_at_rit.edu (alt.)