[NTLK] MAD Update

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 00:39:32 EST

Just thought I let you know that I'm still busy working on MAD (the MP3
decoder). I haven't put a new version on the web because the download
functionality is currently disabled, but I hope to have a new test app
ready soon.

Here's a little status report for each part:

- Decoder: pretty stable, does need a little tweaking for different
sample rates (currently, only 22 and 44khz are supported).
- protoMP3Player and protoMP3Streamer: mostly stable, the buffer
management works as planned.
- Sample app: I just started to put a Stationery-based NewtApp together
that will support Tracks and Streams as the initial data types.

The memory consumption should be low enough for anything upwards from
(and including) an MP130.

But: I'm afraid that only the StrongARM in the MP2x00's is powerful
enough to handle realtime decoding (i.e. decoding while playing). My
eMate takes about 3-4 seconds just to decode one second worth of samples
from a 56kbit/s stream. There are two areas where some speed
improvements could be made: port some of the C code to assembler and
optimize the scheduling of the sound frames for playback. But I'm not
too optimistic about that :(

Eckhart

--
                      -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --