Re: [NTLK] Don't play with signature or How I crashed the system

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 10:36:56 EST

>On 12/19/01 @ 6:53 AM, Ed Kummel wrote:
>
>Could it be that the memory location of the signature
>is set to a specific value? When NewtPaint creates a
>signature, the memory "bleeds" through to a stack that
>is used for the system? I've seen a similar thing
>happen when I tried to replace icons in Apple programs
>using resedit and changing the opening screen in
>Windows with a different image.
>Just a guess on my part though..

You got me to thinking, Ed.

When I copied from the Notes app, when I seleted the text, only what was
inside what I highlighted was copied.

However, when using NewtPaint, I had to select a rectangle to copy --
some sort of pic or bitmap.

That may be the source of the problem. With notes I pasted some sort of
object where as with NewtPaint is was some sort of picture. This
incorrect data type then caused a memory bleed, or overflow of some sort.

Hmmm...

Sushi