Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b11

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 13:44:24 EST

Paul Guyot wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm pleased to announce ATA Support 1.0b11.

And I am pleased to hear that :) Great work.

> Then, I'll work in the following directions depending on what you
> would tell me you prefer:
> * implement support for file systems (mostly FAT I guess)

Yes, for me, FAT access would actually be a killer app: first, accessing
files written by digital cameras would rock (e.g. having a preview
application or being able to mail/fax/whatever), and second, managing
MP3 files though a laptop/desktop and then playing them on the Newton
would definitely be nice.

The FAT support doesn't have to be fancy at all, for most applications,
the limitations MS-DOS 2.11 had (no subdirectories and a limited number
of files in the main directory) would be ok.

> BTW, is there any developer out there interested in working with the
> SDK to implement some software accessing ATA cards? (the SDK allows
> you to know about which cards are inserted and let you perform
> read/write operations).

I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at FAT support. Still have
to complete MAD and Raissa before though... ;)

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --