Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #423

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 14:39:48 EST

On 21/12/01 14:25, "Sean Luke" <sean_at_cs.gmu.edu> wrote:

> On Friday, December 21, 2001, at 09:43 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> wrote:
>
>> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Paul write the ATA driver
>> all
>> in this calendar year? If so, shouldn't _it_ be the winner? I mean,
>> both VNC
>> and Waba are absolutely fabulous programs, and ought to be on the
>> Newton,
>> but like Backtalk, the ATA driver will really, and I mean _really_
>> prolong
>> the lifespan and usability of the Newton, and even revolutionize what
>> you
>> can do on the Newton (mp3 files, graphics, voice recordings, monstrous
>> programs, etc) more so than anything else ever done for the Newton.
>
> Though ATA is listed in "Best New Software", it's also in "Best System
> Enhancement", where it's presently winning (SER-001 is the runner up).

And if that wasn't enough, it's also in the "Best Software Update", which is
also in the lead! Now, since someone is opening this can of worms, the way
that most applications are developped will most likely result in multiple
versions before you get to the final release. It seems unfair to me that a
software is in the "Best New Software" category and also in the "Best New
Update", which the ATA driver and Waba are in presently. If you would remove
those 2 applications from the "Best New Update" and keep them in "Best New
Software", where they should be, you give the lead of "Best New Update" to
SimpleMail and Simon Bell. Now, if you're asking me, I think that Simon has
been doing a terrific job with the *ONLY* email package that is still
supported on the Newton and he, more than anybody else, would deserve to win
the "Best New Update" award, which is exactly what the last version of
SimpleMail is. If the ATA Driver and Waba are considered for the best new
update, why isn't NewtVNC considered? IIRC, there were a few updates before
the current version...

-Laurent.