Re: [NTLK] Airport, where are we at?

From: W. B. Davis (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 15:11:14 EST

I'd like to know too.

I should say, however, that you'll NEVER be able to use an Apple
AirPort card in a Newton. That's NOT a PCMICA card (well, it probably
is, at least internally, but there are other issues such as size and
(more importantly) it does not have an antenna; the antenna is built
into the Mac and you attach it to the card when you install the AirPort
card.

However, there are several people supposedly working on the ability to
use a Lucent WaveLAN (or Orinoco) card in a Newton. Or whatever
they're calling the company and the card this week (Agere?). But last
I heard they were in limbo on when or if it might be finished. If
finished, this would let you connect to an AirPort basestation. Or
similar basestation products. AirPort is WiFi (aka IEEE 802.11b)
wireless working. But I haven't heard anything on this for the Newton
in months. There is a driver from a gentleman in Japan that sort of
worked for a few people, but it's far from ready for prime time. It
doesn't work on my Newton 2100 with either my WaveLAN or Orinoco cards
that work fine in my PowerBook G3/250, for example.

Basically, the answer is currently: "No driver available, and don't
hold your breath."

There are lots of third-party WiFi cards too. Supporting THEM will
probably come AFTER WaveLAN card support...if it comes at all.

If you need a handheld with WiFi/AirPort support NOW, you have 3
choices:

1. Handera 330 PalmOS clone with CF WiFi card (www.handera.com)
2. HandSpring Visor PalmOS clone with WiFi springboard module
(www.handspring.com)
3. Some PocketPC unit with CF WiFi card. The iPaq with PCMCIA sleeve
MIGHT also support PCMCIA WiFi cards, I dunno.

 - Bill