Re: [NTLK] How to: make an international English MP2x00 <deutsch>?

From: Felix Arndt (F.Arndt_at_GMX.net)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 16:45:44 EDT

>>> I heard that even the eMates (never planned for Germany, shame) can be
>>> "Germanized" -- even harder, since you have to change the keyboard layout!
>>
>> Don't get this part, apart from a German dictionary, what do you neew in an
>> eMate, don't you use QWERTY keyboards in Germany ?
>
> We use QWERTZ keyboards.
> You get used to it ;)

Really?
It's not just the exchanged "z" and "y" keys, all punctuation chars are in a
different place. No big deal if you're not a fast touch typist, and doing
all in an "Adler-Such-System" (eagle search system? -- think of the index
finger/s like birds of prey circling above the keyboard in search of the
next correct key... =))).
But for me, I'm used to my own "8-and-a-half" finger system that doesn't
quickly adapt to different layouts. (I had to work with an American keyboard
for a while, just programming, so no umlauts, but it was a PITA...)
I'd even change they keycaps to not confuse me.

Regards,

Felix

--
'A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without
bricks tied to its head.'- attributed to Bruce Lundberg