[NTLK] Ricochet (again)

From: eschneck_at_mindspring.com
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 23:37:38 EDT

> From: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 20:40:13 z (EDT)
> To: newtontalk digest users <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
> Subject: newtontalk Digest V1 #53
>

> With the 2100 and the 128k Ricochet, do you need to
> store you're internet apps on a storage card as
> opposed to internal storage? And, if yes, why?
I keep my apps on a 20MB card, but that is just so that I can keep
the HTML cache on internal. The opposite would probably work
as well.

> Is there an approximate speed anyone has determined,
> just wondering if it is worth the cost?
I have never clocked the speed on the Newt, but I think it is OK.
On my Mac, I consistently get 200Kbps+.

> Are there any special scripts needed to make the card work?
No. Just set up as a Newton modem, enter the TCP/IP settings,
user id, password, and go.

> I am thinking of using Earthlink for service....for the money
> you get both analog and wireless access.
Probably a good bet. I am using WWC, which is the biggest
provider and works well for me, but I will probably switch to
Earthlink when my contract runs out, since my dial-up service is
already through them and they are cheaper than WWC if you are
a current subscriber. Make sure you can get your money back if it
is not Newton-compatible. Just don't go with Juno, since it does
not work with Newton.

Eric