Re: [NTLK] Problems Downloading Packages From UNNA

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 21:01:34 EDT

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001 23:04:12 -0500, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> >Why is it that when I download a package (Text to Speech) it is not a
pkg
> >when it gets to my desktop?
> >
> >Am I doing something wrong....
> >
> >Ive downloaded quite a few programs and have not had this problem. I
think
> >it is because when there a .sit file, stuffit can handle them....these
are
> >.pkg's....anyone know what I can do.
> >
> >Thanks
> >John Shepherd
> >

> Yes. Add the ".pkg" file type to your web browser's preferences and
> tell it that .pkg files belong to Newton Connection Utilities.
>
> You can also do this in the Internet Control panels, "Advanced" tab,
> select "File mapping".
>
> If there is already a mapping for ".pkg" present it's probaby for the old

> AppleLink online service software, which used that for compressed file
> archives it created. You can safely delete it and replace it with one
> pointing to NCU.
>
> - Bill

I'll try that, myself. I had hopes of Steve Weyer's PackType
as an on-mac drop&fix for corrupted .pkg but that, too, was wrecked by the
time I got it into the PowerMac: the problem is not a .pkg problem alone as
I tried to get a mac .sit file and had no more success wih it than .sit
compressions of newt files.