Re: [NTLK] using graphire pen

From: Dakkar (ceccarel_at_cibs.sns.it)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 03:59:37 EDT

On 20010711094049, Rolf Meijer wrote:
> The pen tip is plastic, no harm there. I was more thinking about the
> electronics inside the pen. I don't know exactly how it works and what
> it does when you touch a surface (tablet/eMate) with it.
The Graphire pen (as all other graphic tablets' wireless pens)
contains some electronics, that are powered by induction from the
tablet: the tablet creates a variable electro-magnetic field just
above its surface, and a coil inside the pen gets induced a current
(you can see this clearly if you open the graphire's mouse, just a
screw).

If there's no field, nothing happens: the pen is just a piece of
plastic with some unpowered electorinics. The newton senses pressure
on the surface, so no field needed, and non present.

neither will the newton.

--

Dakkar - ceccarel_at_cibs.sns.it <Mobilis in mobile>

*** NEWS FLASH ***

Archeologists find PDP-11/24 inside brain cavity of fossilized dinosaur skeleton! Many Digital users fear that RSX-11M may be even more primitive than DEC admits. Price adjustments at 11:00.