Re: [NTLK] AW: surfing the net thru a Mac as a router ?

From: Brian McEwen (bmcewen_at_cowboy.net)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 08:35:44 EDT

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Stefan Hassenstein wrote:
> Well...if there are other ways than Appletalk to connect the Newton
> to the Mac (which is talking to the net) i would openheartly pull
> over !
>
> I just mentioned Appletalk coz this is the connection which talks
> fluently to the Mac.

        You need to tell the Newt to connect using MacIP as the internet
protocol, and IPNetrouter has to be set up to provide not just appletalk,
but MacIP thru the serial port you are using. MAcIP can be thought of as
PPP bundled within Appletalk. It's a mac-specific thing.

You may be doing this already since you report an IP address? but be sure
that you're also getting an IP for your Newt as well as seeing an IP of
the routing machine. Try the "thumb" package available on AMUG or maybe
Unna to check some basic IP stats.

        There are some hints about getting IPNetrouter and Newtons
working, if you search the forums at the IPNetrouter website. I've posted
a step-by-step that someone emailed me here, it MIGHT be long enough ago
that if you search the old Newtontalk archives for IPNetrouter, it might
pop up. I don't have it handy at the moment to cut-n-paste.

        HTH.

        Brian