Re: [NTLK] Homemade screen protectors vs NuShields

From: Drew Loker (lokerd_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 23:15:23 EDT

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. Sorry to go against a current Newt
product supporter.

I have tried NuShield twice. The second time was because I thought they had
been improved. I do appreiciate their willingness and simplicity in
returning the product each time. Also, the NuShield was VERY easy to
install, and lasted significantly longer than what I am about to suggest.

However, haivng said this, the difference between making your own out of
simple overhead transparencies and buying a set of 4 NuShields is dramtic.
In favor of just making your own!!!!!

Somebody suggested this several months ago when I was in a REAL bind. I had
just damaged my first screen after many years and various models of Newtons
and I just knew I didn't want it to happen again. I tried NuSHield, really
trying to make it work...ie, trying to like it.

But the fact is, I couldn't handle the loss of clarity. I know other people
don't mind the loss. It's not like I have bad eyes...so maybe it is just the
situation in which I am using my Newt most often (flourescent lighting
behind me). But I can tell you, plain old transparencies, even after they
start showing wear are WAY, WAY easier to see through. I made a paper
template, cut up four form one sheet, and just recently started on number 2
from many MONTHS ago. I keep the first one on probably 3 months. If I wasn't
so lazy in not wanting to cut up some more, I could see changing it out
every month as the plain transparencies do start to wear alomst immediately.
But, for example, the one I have on right now, which has been on for a
couple of months, I can see so much better than a brand new NuShield, it
isn't even a fair comparison.

Anyway, again, sorry to go against the Nushield makers, as I know they are
supporters here on the board, but until they get some different film, I'll
just "roll out my own". :) Seriously, I would rather pay, and not have to
take the time, but I could not tolerate the SIGNIFICANT loss in clarity.

Hope this helps.

Drew