[NTLK] eBay scumbags redux

From: John Venzon (jvenzon_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 01:43:03 EDT

Newtonians,

The fun just keeps going. Since eBay hasn't busted me on my 1 cent/free
eMate service manual auction, I've set up a little quickie website and
linked to it from the eBay auction for newbies. Otto's suggestion, genius
that he is. The quickie site, in case you are bored is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jvenzon/index.html

And my fight to discredit people from printing out PDF manuals and selling
them on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1254803432&r=0&t=0&sh
owTutorial=0&ed=995530298&indexURL=0&rd=1

As it stands now, I've gotten 21 emails from folks who stumbled onto the
page on eBay saying, "I had no idea, thanks." Total number of downloads: 47
on the first day. Hopefully my bandwidth will hold out until the end of the
auction!

I'm wondering if we can take this a step further, and make a sort of "pact"
that if any of us sell Newton stuff on eBay, we insert a plug for our
favorite Newton site for newbies. This old Newt, Newtontalk, whatever.

What do you folks think? eBay can't object to legit references in legit
auctions, I mean REALLY.

Fighting Back for the Newton (To paraphrase the old Power Computing ad),
John Venzon
Newton owner since 1993
(the serial number on my H1000's power supply: 0000857-just 'cause I'm so
macho)