Re: [NTLK] Another Apple/Newton Rumor

From: D.J. (carpman_at_newtontracker.net)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 13:25:05 EDT

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

>on 14/07/01 12:40, Oliver Brose at oliver.brose_at_t-online.de wrote:
>
>>>While I agree that the Newton OS is phenomenal, I wouldn't be so quick to
>>>dismiss OS X. Have you tried it at all. Even though it is in it's early
>>>stages, it is very nice. Rather than shutting down my computer, I put it to
>>>sleep, and it wakes up just as fast as my Newton does.
>>>
>>If Apple manages to run OS X on a PDA they'll receive *screaming, jumping,
>>kicking* ovations.
>>The thing is way to slow at the current state, but it will work out.
>>Putting it on a PDA would mean *major* cut-downs.
>>
>[snip!]
>
>I'll just jump to make a little comment. Running OS X on a PDA is quite a
>general statement. IMHO, it doesn't mean that you would get Aqua and
>everything else that makes what you see when running OS X. Actually, I think
>that if Apple was coming up with a PDA running OS X, that would probably
>mean the Darwin's part of OS X, which is the very core of the operating
>system. They would be foolish to try to run anything looking like Aqua on
>the top of it. Due to its dynamic object-oriented nature, they could easily
>craft a well-tailored interface on the top of it. This would certainly
>result in a fast, stable device.
>
>-Laurent.

I could realy dig a UNIX based handheld. TCPIP, cron, well implimented
e-mail. The UI is the problem. You simply cannot have a graphicly
impressive UI on a handheld because of the screen size. 64x64 icons
might look cool, but on a 2"x3" screen, unless you have some insane
resolution, then look will be about all you can do. PalmOS, NewtonOS,
EPOC etc... are all examples of UI's done right, but apple's latest bend
has been to more and larger UI. Besides which, any handheld would just
gets SteveJobsed(tm) again like the Newton.