Re: [NTLK] eBay scumbags: The final chapter

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 13:52:10 EDT

> I've never looked, but is there a process by which one can report such
> behavior? I get the impression that selling something that's
> available
> elsewhere for free is OK w/ eBay, regardless of how sleazy it is.
>
> - Eric.

Unfortunately Eric, this is America.(I mean fortunately ;-))

Unfettered freedom comes with a price.

While I totally agree with John's stance and his subsequent actions,
the fact is that, as morally reprehensible an act as this maybe, it
is not illegal. (unless he is in violation of copyright.)

E-Bay is in the business of making money. It can only do that if
people sell things. As long as it's not drugs, body parts or Space Shuttles,
they really don't care. If challenged on it, they will say that
they are against all illegal activity.

Bottom line: They will tend to act in their own best interests.

Then, of course there are the people who don't care that you can download
it and don't want to, or cannot, print it out themselves. Perhaps they
have justified to themselves that it is worth it.

Then there are the people who just don't know any better....

In our society, you will always have people who make money from the
situation of other people.

Shut down this joker and he will pop up somewhere else or be replaced
by someone else.

The best defense is education.

If you know its available for free you won't go there in the first place.
If you don't care, well, you are probably going to buy it regardless.

Don't waste your valuable time chasing butterflies, Eric.
(unless you are into lepidoptera)

Regards,

David Humphreys
part-time philosopher