Re: [NTLK] BTI Batteries

From: Don Levick, M.D. (donlevick_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 20:58:15 EDT

I was at Macworld on Wednesday - watched most of the keynote on the video
screens. Slightly disappointing, although I was relieved that Jobs did not
announce an Apple PDA - I don't want anything to compete with my Newton. I
ran into three other Newton Users (and one guy with a great purple Newton
golf shirt).

I spoke to BTI - they have about 350 plastic cases left for the MP2100.
When those are gone, they will not make more unless there is an order/demand
for about 3000. When they get orders for batteries, they fill the plastic
cases with the battery cells - the unused shelf life (if not put into a Newt
and used) is about 6 months. Storing in the frig does NOT prolong life. Once
used in the Newt, they should last about 400 discharge/charge cycles. I told
them I wanted to buy about 50 for the list people. He was a bit hesitant,
since he was worried it would annoy his resellers if we bypassed them. I
told him that for 50 batteries, it really isn't an issue. I told him we were
looking to pay no more than $40. He was unable to commit at that time, and
will get back to me next week. I will follow up with him and keep the list
updated.

Sorry, people, I thought I could close the deal at the Expo. I'll keep you
posted.