Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #89

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 11:47:52 EDT

On Thursday, July 26, 2001, at 11:02 AM, oliver.brose_at_t-online.de wrote:

>> From: mark.fellows_at_unitedmessaging.com (Mark Fellows)
>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] 802.11b Wireless Cards?
>> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:25:12 -0700
>>

> Hello almost-wireless people,
>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> A gentleman in Japan is working on the driver for the Lucent 802.11b
>> chipset. The alpha version on his web page
>> (http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm) doesn't recognize the
>> Lucent card, but he sent me a modified version that does. Based on the
>> card's activity light, it seems to be working with my WaveLan Silver
>> card.
>> (Is there a Bronze card?)
>
> I think so, but I'm not sure. There is a GOLD card, the difference is
> somewhere in the used encryption.
>
>> I haven't been able to confirm this because I
>> can't get my PC's card to use ad-hoc mode channel 3, which is the only
>> mode
>> supported by the driver at this time. Not sure if/when he'll have it
>> working with an access point.
>>
>> - Mark
>
> I can't wait to test this. I got me a used Lucent SILVER card, mainly
> for
> use in my Wallstreet, but *without a doubt* I'll give it a shot on the
> MP.
> This will happen somewhen during the next week, when I'll be out there,
> performing an all live cash purchase of a sparkling, flashing, brand new
> Apple AirPort BaseStation.
> (No, I'm not overly exited to finally get my clutching hands on one, no
> way,
> a PowerBook G3 with 2 batteries, surfing wirelessly at full DSL speed -
> it
> cant't be that cool... #})
>
> Did anyone get a successful connection using the Newton yet?

For some reason, all the people that tried this driver with a WaveLan or
ORiNOCO we unable to get it working on their Newton, me included. That's
a basic setup with one AirPort base station. It seems that only the
creator of the driver has it working, and even this was not clear, so
I'm assuming he got it working.

-Laurent.