Re: [NTLK] MP21k via Ethernet card to the Mac ?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 15:58:54 EDT

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Stefan Hassenstein wrote:

> In my effort to connect the green thru the Mac to the Internet i
> recently changed my way from using IPNetRouter - due to Victors
> suggestions -

I made suggestions? Okay. I don't remember, but whatever...

> Right before i downloaded the packages (internal store)
> - FarallonEthernet.pkg
> - 3ComAddon.pkg
> - 3C589.pkg

For this card, you don't need the 3comaddon.pkg installed. This appears
in your Extensions folder as 'z3ComDrv:clli'.

> also loaded NIE Ethernet,
>
> Inserted into the lower slot i am greeted with a msg:
>
> Megahertz 589E
> Manufacturer: 3Com
> TP/BNC Lan PC Card

I assume since the card is recognized you have Newton Devices installed as
well.

> there is a checkbox, asking for "Use card for Appletalk",
> which i am checking.

As you should :)

> My first aim is to build a connect to my Mac....
>

> In the prefs (Newton) i konfigure the Appletalk section
>
> - Connect using "Ethertalk"
> - Using card "Megahertz 589E"
>
> In the Dock module i am trying to
>
> - connect thru "Appletalk"
> - connect with "privat"
> (which worked almost fine, when using the printerport on the Mac)
>
> On the Mac
> in Appletalk Control i switch to use "Ethernet"
> in the NCU i check only "Appletalk"
> (when asked to choose a Connection in the Prefs)

Instead of using your previuosly cached machine name in the Newton's Dock,
Open NCU on the Mac so that it's waiting for an AppleTalk (EtherTalk)
connection, then Open Dock on your Newt and choose AppleTalk, and then
pick "Choose network computer". If all is well, the ethernet card will
connect, query the AppleTalk network, and if everything is set up
properly, return a list of Macs that are listening with NCU. If you can't
see any computers, then you've got a problem somewhere along the line.