Re: [NTLK] 802.11b Wireless Cards?

From: Mark Fellows (mark.fellows_at_unitedmessaging.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 11:49:42 EDT

I use the ORiNOCO Silver PC Card on both PC and Newt:
http://www.wavelan.com/template.html?section=m56&envelope=93&page=126
They don't refer to it by any model or part number.

It's Lucent's (now Agere's) own 802.11b, 5V, 16-bit card with 64-bit
encryption. The Gold card is the same, but with 128-bit encryption.
(Stronger encryption isn't all that important because there are plenty of
other ways to hack into WEP networks.) The card communicates at 11Mb and
automagically steps down to 5Mb, 2Mb and 1Mb depending on signal strength.
They're hard to find in stores but plenty of net retailers. Outpost.com has
them today for US$119.95.

- Mark