[NTLK] NCU error -1

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 10:09:14 EDT

Hi all,
from time to time I'm looking into the NCU backup error -1, at least as soon
as I can't anymore do backups of my green friend(s). From the beginning I
had the impression that it is a timing or timeout problem which let stop NCU
on the Mac side the communication. It became a major problem with the
introduction of the MacOS 8 and higher systems because Apple improved the
MacOS more and more and recompiled more and more parts of the core operating
system into native PowerPC code. Remember, with system 7.0 an emulator was
used to interpret all CISC calls into RISC commands and in the very
beginning this interpreter was the only native application on the PowerPC.
With MacOS8.5 all the OS components became native and thus faster, which
IMHO caused the problems.
To proof this, I'll start-up an old PPC (I don't have others) with a
MacOS7.5 magneto-optical and check NCU backup.

Another observation I made during my recent error -1 fights was the
following:
The reason for the error -1 can be corrupt data, which can be solved. But
obviously might the backup of packages also cause the error -1. Probably
does the unmounting of the package for the backup process take to much time
and this might trip the timeout. It would also mean that the writers of NCU
didn't use MacOS timer functions for the timeout but some sort of delay
loops or some other count frequency dependant method. That would be a very
dissapointing fact...

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing