Re: [NTLK] Homemade screen protectors

From: Patrick Meuleman (Patrick2_at_goldenglow.com.au)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 18:16:25 EDT

Hi Sam,

The only disadvantage that I've found with using overhead transparencies
(OHT) is that they tend to wear (ie. get scratched) very quickly. To
prolong their life I wipe them with a bit of furniture polish (a tip I
picked up from this list - spray polish onto a cloth and then wipe the
protected screen with the cloth) and magically all the scratches disappear.
One sheet will last me well in excess of 2 months. I've never tried
Nushields and so can't comment on how they compare with my cheap and dirty
method. However, given that the Aussie $ has been fairing very poorly for
some time (hus making Nushields very expensive, in my opinion) and the OHT
option is dirt cheap and works fine, I have no hesitation in recommending it
as an option to try - what have you got to lose? I also can't comment on
the difference between using OHT protection and no protection at all because
I've never not used OHT protection.

Because the OHT covers the entire screen there is absolutely no wear on the
MP screen itself (which surely is the object of using protection?). I have
a UMP2000, I can't comment on how easy/difficult the OHT option would be to
adapt to an eMate or any other Newton based device. I used to have a
PalmPilot (before I saw the light and got a Newton) and the OHT protection
worked very effectively in that case too.

Regards,

Patrick.