[NTLK] No longer supported software...

From: John M. Powell (quixjuan_at_QuixNet.net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 09:11:32 PDT

>> Legally, at what point do we say, "I've tried as hard as
>> I can to contact the creators, I've passed some statute
>> of limitations, we're free to make it available to the
>> community". Or can we EVER reach that point legally?
> I'd guess that, when you can contact the company, an effort has to be made
> to contact someone high enough to make commitments for the company. Then
> just see if they're willing to talk through to a solution. I think that,
> as long as the company exists (or even if they've been bought out by
> someone), they still hold full rights regardless of whether they have
> abandoned the software or not.

In HexDumps case, I tracked down an ex-employee who made contact with
someone else who was going to try and reach Mr. Kardash. I've heard
nothing since. I've actually spoken to him a couple times when I
registered my software - seemed like a really nice guy. The company
seems to no longer exist though. Teletype IS still around, though no
longer supporting the Newton - we could probably get them to allow
us to distribute it freely, but that does me no good at the moment
as I can't even find anyone that had purchased the software,
and THEY certainly don't have any copies...

>> 2) Software that required reg codes. What do we do here with
>> software that isn't supported anymore but requires codes? There
>> are cases where again, the company does not exist anymore, and codes
>> were required...
>> What do I do now if I can't reach them?
>
> I've never heard a good answer on this. If the company wasn't sold,
> but was disposed of (i.e., assets sold), then either someone bought
> rights to the software, or the company's owner still holds those
> rights. Or not... :-)

Well, and in Tactile's case, he may just be out of the country
again. Then again....

> Geez! With 1200+ people on this list, you'd think that ONE of us
> would know a software copyright attorney...
> - Eric.

You'd think!

John