Re: [NTLK] Tough decision...sell my Newt? Buy a Palm

From: Paul Nuernberger (pen1_at_spiff.net)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 00:34:19 PDT

Well, speaking only for myself, I have and use all three (plus various
desktops. I have a Newton 2100, a Palm VIIx, as well as a pre-compaq
digital laptop. Each has its independant usefulness, and I have been lucky
in getting information from one to the other and desktops by using LookOut,
X-Port, and other tricks.

I still rely on my newt for the things it excels at - larger screen, HWR,
readability, ethernet connectivity, not to mention the 'cool factor'. I use
the VIIx (recommemded over the Vx by the way) for what it excels at -
wireless connectivity, small size, great ability to sync.

My newton goes everywhere except service calls where the small size of the
Palm is a BIG plus. Most times you would see me with the Newton, the Palm,
my Nextel, and a pager (yep, another freaking geek).

I bought the Palm VIIx for under $200 before Palm had whacked on the price
with the offer of a rebate, and consider it a perfect addition *for the
purposes I use it for*. I would NEVER use it full-time as my sole
hand-held.

The Newton 2000/2100 is truly a hand-held computer with all that implies.
The Palm series are PDA's only - slightly better than the old Casio
organizers.

As always - YMMV.

Paul Nuernberger