Re: [NTLK] printing to an epson

From: Christian Fiutak (cfiutak_at_fiutak.de)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 14:41:11 PDT

>On Wednesday, June 20, 2001, at 11:13 AM, kenn lowy wrote:
> > i have an epson deskwriter. i can't print to it (using serial). does
> > anyone know if i need a special driver (and where it might be??)

Hi Kenn, hi Laurent,

there is a special Epson Printer driver available....very hard to find,
but...I have it ;-)

It comes from a company called "INSA Ltd.", but this company is out of
business for
lightyears now...;-(

So..the driver should be on UNNA.org...but if not I will upload it tomorrow...

As far as I know this Printer driver is the only driver except the drivers
from Apple (Printpack 1 &2).

Here is a little bit of the readme.doc:

Epson ESC/P2 Printer Driver for NewtonŽ
Version 1.0 for NewtonŽ 2.x

System Requirements
The Printer Driver for Newton requires
o A Newton MessagePad 120 or better running Newton 2.x and at least 20K
free storage
o An Epson printer with Mac serial port. The driver assumes the following
serial port settings: 57200 Baud, 8 bits, no Parity, 1 stop bit.
o The Macintosh/Newton Serial cable, which came with the Newton

>You mean, an HP DeskWriter? Or is it an Epson? What you will probably
>need is the package named "PrintPack", version 2.0. It provides
>additional drivers for a lot of HP and Epson printers. Should be
>available on UNNA <http://www.unna.org/>. Also, you might want to make
>sure that your serial settings are the same on your Newton and your
>printer. Most PC-based printers use the parallel port and are not always
>properly configured for serial. Originally, the "PrintPack" package was
>also sold with a serial-to-parallel adaptor. So, you could plug one end
>to your Newton and the other to the printer's parallel port and it would
>just work. But if the printer supports serial connections, there is no
>reason that it wouldn't work. Make sure you have a real serial cable,
>not a modem one, which has, I think, the transmit pin on one end
>connected to the receive pin on the other end.

All this is not necessary if you have a Epson Printer with a MAC-Port...see
above.

CU,

Christian