Re: [NTLK] MP130 and Modem Gateway?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 10:02:08 PDT

on 6/22/01 12:41 PM, countless monkeys randomly typing on behalf of Presence
at presence_at_irev.net miraculously produced:

> I used "Bridge" also at one point. Was a great story too: In my
> company's new offices they purchased new workstations, all of which were
> connected via ethernet. All the old PCs were given away to charity,
> including the modems that were in 'em. Then, like two weeks into this new
> modemless office someone realizes that this antiquated credit card
> software requires a dialup... and there's not a single stinkin modem
> anywhere in the 50-computer network.
>
> I whipped out my Newt130 and 'bridge' and saved the day... The other
> two techs were dumbfounded.
>
> To save space, I removed the bridge package... but a few months later
> needed it again and downloaded 'bridge', version 2. It did NOT work, same
> as Eric below: I could throw AT commands at the modem, but couldn't get
> a dialup connection. I realized I had used 'bridge' version 1 back at the
> office and haven't I been able to find that package since. :^/
>
> - Presence
> http://presence.irev.net/
>

>>> I remember hearing on how you can setup your 130 to share its modem with
>>> other
>>> systems. Or to allow other systems to dial-out using the 130's modem. I
>>> think
>>> that's right. Any information is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> The package is Modem Bridge and I'd REALLY like to hear others' experience
>> with it. I tried to use it with my Duo 280c. Although I could get ZTerm to
>> talk to the modem (AT codes...), when I tried to use it with AOL, I was
>> never able to get it to work. So, help and suggestions are welcome. It
>> would be nice to use the 33.6 modem card I bought, rather than the Duo's
>> internal 14.4 modem!!

For the sake of completeness:

ModemBridge 3.0 (from the original source) --
http://www.voicenet.com/~cimino/tld.html

ModemBridge 1.5 is on this page --
http://www.mcdumpsters.com/macsite/newton/

I *just* found that v1.5 link, and it'll be a while before I get to try it.

- Eric.