Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 12:38:40 PDT

>You'll be happy to know that the Waba for Newton VM was written *entirely*
>on MacOS X.

Most of it, I would say :)

>2. There is a serious conflict between the Newton Package format extension
>(".pkg") and the same extension being used for NeXT Installer Packages,
>now known as Apple Installer Packages. It doesn't matter if you change
>the type/creator code with PackType (PackType will become your best friend
>in OS X), the operating system still insists on recognizing the package
>as an installer package.

It's because creator codes and file types are beyond the capacity of
its puny little brain.

>MPW doesn't handle this gracefully.

I edit Unix files with MPW without any problem. Either you have a
very old version or you're misunderstanding where the problem really
is.

>It gives bizarre warnings

This is just the port of ARM tools.

>insists that all errors in your code are on "line 1",

ARM compilers.

>etc., because the concept of non-MacOS 9 text files are beyond the
>capacity of its puny little brain.

Not really.

>I had to create a little shell script
>called ~/bin/to-mac:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cat $1 | tr '\012' '\015' > /tmp/cm.temp
> rm $1
> mv /tmp/cm.temp $1
>
>...which converts text files over to "Mac OS 9" format to make MPW happy.

Which is totally useless. I use perl, C and C++ source files I got
for Unix platform without even noticing that they have unix line
feeds.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/