Re: [NTLK] Source for new MP2K Batteries

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 08:53:41 PDT

on 24/06/01 13:45, Frank Gruendel at Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de wrote:

>> http://www.powerwarehouse.com
>
> <snip>
>
>> But they are new, they do work, and he seems to be a steady
>> source, so this is indeed good news.
>
> Make sure "new" in this context really means new and not
> "unused". Generally it's not a good idea to leave even new
> batts unused for a longer time (see www.cadex.com for more info
> on why this is so). If these batts are original Apple packs, there's
> a good chance they have been manufactured some time around 1997 or
> earlier, in this case you might be better off just refurbishing your
> dead pack with really new batts. Moreover, state of the art NiMH batts
> these days are approx. 30 percent better than what Apple used for
> the original packs.
> See the hardware section of www.pda-soft for info on how to refurbish
> a used pack.

Frank,

If you remember, I did post sometime ago a message regarding a problem I was
having with one of my pack. It turned out that the pack has a little crack
in the case. I'm not sure if that is the cause of my problem, where the pack
will suddenly make no good contact with the MP, causing a restart. I know
you haven't seen the pack and it's maybe hard to tell, but would I have
reasonable chance of repairing that pack? I'm fairly sure that if the crack
is the cause of poor contact, and if I could get it fixed, the battery would
still be good. But how should I proceed with a cracked case?

-Laurent.