Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Overclocking

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 11:28:06 PDT

>The effect, depending on position, may be very subtle and
>go unnoticed for some time, perhaps corrupting more and more
>data.

Well, rather it would lead to a crash.. The NewtonOS storage system
is rather redundant (for example, the system stores binaries with
their size in store objects of a given size, hence the information is
there twice (in the header of the object and in the store's catalog).

>And for those of you thinking that you could just turn off
>the unit, switch the crystal and then switch back on, let me
>tell you that the Newt never sleeps it just reverts to a low
>power mode.

Not really. In sleep mode, every clock is disabled except the real time clock.

>The processor started out life as a 220Mhz device but factory
>testing found it to fail at this frequency and it was tested
>at the other speeds until it passed. Then it got stamped with
>that number.

Except that I think that the 220 MHz limit is rather due to the ROM
chips, I cannot disagree with what you are saying.

>Also, higher speed means higher power dissipation. This will
>prematurely age the processor and other components.

Although it won't generate much heat.

>I am not telling anyone not to do this, I just wanted you
>to make a more informed decision.

I used PIXSolution's implant for several months. I had first some
problems because it was too fast (bus errors in the ROM chips
addresses AFAIR). I returned it to Oliver Harm, and I resoldered the
fixed implant. It's true that you really get more comfort at a higher
speed, especially with recognition. However, I never was totally able
to switch the speed when the Newton was running (I was able when it
was in low consumption mode with main clock at 50% frequency). And I
haven't resoldered it in my new Newton because I need too much the
serial port and the ethernet card (the Farallon isn't accelerator
compatible) and also because of the other side effects (some random
crashes, I once lost all the content of the internal store, plus the
fact that indeed it decreases the lifetime of the unit).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/