Re: [NTLK] offtopic .sit/.zip files

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 06:50:06 PDT

on or about 6/29/01 9:23 AM, the following may or may not have been typed by
bob barkany at bob_at_barkany.com:

> Can you wonderful people help me.
> Its not newton related but you guys always come up with the goods.
> As some of you know, I am a photographer and
> I use a great program called Ivue to catalogue my work and it can make web
> pages up of any number of images.
> I have been trying to send small files of three or four images to
> prospective clients as a taster via email rather than the usual
> channels,phone , appt to show work etc.
> no problem with macusers, but PC users cannot open the files.
> How do I compress these files so that anyone can open them in explorer or
> navigator or indeed Icab.
> I dont want to attach an example so as not to use up too much space.If you
> need to see it, I would gladly send it to you offlist
>
> Thank you all for a great new list
> Bob
>
> bob_at_barkany.com
> http://www.barkany.com
>
> Bob Barkany Photographer
> +44 (0) 7973 666 243

From the context of your message, it sounds like you mean "encode" when you
say "compress". AFAIK, virtually every e-mail app on Mac or Windows
understands all the STANDARD methods of encoding (i.e., those established by
a standards body, not just some "Microsoft" standard) such as uuencode or
base64. Additionally, I *think* the major Windows e-mail apps understand
the so-called AppleDouble format. At least, Outlook offers that as the
option to encode for any computer. Every once in a great while I run across
a Windows user that has some problem like this and it often traces to the
local server/firewall assuming that all e-mail is encoded in a particular
way, rather than CHECKING for the encoding type. The solution is invariably
to force your e-mail app to use MIME/base64 encoding. I don't know a thing
about Windows and don't have any need to, but it appears that this is sort
of a default encoding choice in Windows. (Windows experts feel free to
chime in.)

Next thing to check out is... Are you putting the proper file extension on
the file? (i.e., .jpg for JPEGs, etc.) Without it, Windows doesn't have
any idea what app to use to open the file.

Finally, if you truly are interested in compression, you *can* use StuffIt.
Windows folks will need to download the free decompress utility. Or, with a
modern version of StuffIt, I think you can make a Windows self-extracting
archive. Or you could just compress it as a .zip file. Your Mac users will
be able to decompress it with StuffIt, and the Windows folks will also be
able to use it.

- Eric.