Re: [NTLK] offtopic .sit/.zip files

From: Brian McEwen (bmcewen_at_cowboy.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 06:49:25 PDT

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, bob barkany wrote:
> I have been trying to send small files of three or four images to
> prospective clients as a taster via email rather than the usual
> channels,phone , appt to show work etc.
> no problem with macusers, but PC users cannot open the files.
> How do I compress these files so that anyone can open them in explorer or
> navigator or indeed Icab.

Well, there is no point is .sit or .zip'ing .jpg's or other image formats
as in the subject line; they are already compressed. Emailed them as an
attachment encodes them as ASCII and then the receiving program decodes
the ASCII back into a binary, if you have a sane mail client (some insane
ones exist that can't do attachments). You could use .zip or.sit to
bundle multiple files together but there's no real reason to do that
anymore. Email clients are good about attachments these days.

Navigator, Explorer, to view them- so you mean you want your clients to
view them from within a web browser? On windows platforms, you really
need to make sure that your images end with the .XXX suffix. .jpg, .gif,
whatever. Windows is a lot pickier about that than MacOS as it keeps
track or file associations differently than the Mac.

If your mac users can view them my guess is: you're likely emailing them
with a sensible mail client, on a mac, that is encoding the resource for
for you without your knowing it :) and your filenames do NOT have .jpg or
.gif extensions. The mac receives the data it needs to know what to do
with the image, unpacked on a Windows machine nothing makes sense without
the .jpg or similar extension for Windows to use.

It is easy for the Windows guys to fix but usually they don't know how
(try emailing them a word doc without the .doc and watch the confusion :)

Hope this is applicable; if it doesn't make sense or you are already doing
this feel free to send me something to my personal email (the list will
remove the attachment, you couldn't send it thru here anyway).

Luck!

Brian