[NTLK] LOTR

From: eric engle (engleerica_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 09:46:28 EST

So that you know: the US copyright law currently
permits copyright from the lifetime of the author plus
75 (IIRC) years.

Before 1978 it was lifetime of the author plus 50
years (IIRC).

I have no idea when (or if) Tolkien died - I also have
no moral problems with personal use violation of
copyright. Copyright violation for profit is a
problem. But burning CDs for private use disturbs me
not. Burning CDs and then selling them disturbs me.

LOTR may or may not already be in the public domain.
It just depends on timing.

Anyway I have put my thoughts on (C) into a master of
law thesis. Your welcome to read it. Just let's not
clutter the list: If you are looking for books to
newtonize trot over to gutenberg - everything on
gutenberg is public domain. If you want to discuss (C)
start a list.

Speaking of which I newtonized a lot of nietzsche in
german and english - and that _is definitely in the
public domain. So if there are any other crazy
philosophers just write -off list- I will send it as
an attachment.

=====
My Web sites:
http://www.geocities.com/engleerica/ (personal)