Re: [NTLK] OT: *.dat file?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 13:44:07 EST

Sometimes you can open the file in NotePad and read
the first line. It will usually say what kind of file
it is. For instance, if you open a JPEG file in
notepad you get:
ÿØÿà JFIF  H H ÿï P 52ÿÛ
The key here is recognizing that "JFIF" is the jpeg
format.

You can use this method to help you in determining
what it is you have. If you feel it's an MP3 file,
open another MP3 file in notepad and compare the first
2-3 lines. (remember to use word-wrap)
You can do this for any file you need.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Edward Cheung <edwardcheung_at_mac.com> wrote:

> it could be a music of video file
> Ed cheung
>
> On Friday, November 2, 2001, at 12:51 AM, Samuel
> Jacobson wrote:
>

> > Hello All,
> >
> > I know this is a non-newton issue, however, I
> get a file from a
> > friend of
> > mine from Japan that was in a *.dat format. It
> appears to be a sound
> > file
> > of some sort, and I would like to see what she
> sent but my WinTel does
> > not
> > seem to be able to recognize it. Does anyone know
> how to get my machine
> > either run or convert (to something that either
> RealPlayer or Windows
> > Media
> > Player can handle) the file?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sam

> > Always remember, "Ad astra per aspera"...
> >

> > email:
> > jacobson98_at_earthlink.net
> > or
> > sjacobso_at_chuma.cas.usf.edu
> >
> > Lab. Telephone (via Dr. Susan Bell): 813-974-5420
> >
> > SnailMail:
> > Department of Biology
> > University of South Florida
> > SCA 110
> > 4202 East Fowler Avenue
> > Tampa, Florida, 33620

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...