Re: [NTLK] Ultimate PDA - was:( Community Development )

From: Templarsog1_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 17:04:31 EST

In a message dated 11/1/01 2:08:49 PM, aenkerli_at_indiana.edu writes:

>The idea of a successor to the Newt seems to be a recurring theme here.
>
>And we basically have a lot of ideas of what an ideal PDA should be.
>Yet, we don't have the manpower to build it. After all, Paul G.'s busy
>
>enough right now...
>But maybe a solution would be to involve people in other communities of
>
>PDA users and developers.
>The reason I'm thinking about this is that I think we're part of the
>ideal focus group for new PDA products. IOW, we need our voices to be
>heard by those who will eventually build the perfect device.
>Maybe there's already such a thing, but a "Perfect PDA" mailing-list
>where we could discuss dreams of PDA heaven could work.
>What do you think?
>
>Alex Enkerli
>PDA idealist at large

I think we are all overlooking the obvious. The perfect, and I mean perfect
PDA already exists, it is the:

Star Trek - Starfleet R&D Tri-Corder

It does it all.

Beaming: 'you' and your team from planet to ship and back again
Dictionary: can access the entire Starfleet historical/linguistic database
Control: remotely operate the Enterprise or any other Starfleet vessel from
the 'palm' of your hand
Address Book: call up the entire Starfleet personnel database
Weather: Check the weather on whatever planet you happen to be on or stranded
on and with the right mods possibly even alter it
Infinite Modification Possibilities: need to set off a variable wave
resonance pulse to disrupt a planets gravitational harmonics? A few quick
software alterations, a little input from the Enterprise mainframe and presto!

Many, many more features - to many to list. For the complete lowdown and to
order one check out:

<http://www.startrek.com>

Cheers,

William :o)