Re: [NTLK] LOTR (Lord of the Rings) in Newton Book format&In-Reply-To=<5.1.0.14.2.20011101094923.00af7d98@mail.tx3.net>

From: j kallo (quietglow_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 17:45:11 EST

Hey all,

I was gonna completely butt outta this--I'm just
amazed, remember? Ed's last post and its enclosed url
reminded me of an interesting, and perhaps relevant
fact: very soon after the Tolkien finished the LOTR
series, a rogue publishing company began cranking out
very cheap copies of the works. This had the effect of
undercutting the sale of the "real" books. The ensuing
copyright battles took years and years and, and here
is the kicker, as a result of them, Tolkien actually
made very little money on the sale of the books--he
lived a modest life in spite of the fact that the
books were, from just a few years after publication,
wildly popular. (info garnered from the authorized
biography by Humphrey Carpenter).

They were some of the first books I put on my newton:
they were the first novels I ever read, and I too read
them yearly. For those so inclined, and disinclined to
obey copyright laws, they and many other great texts
are easily available via Hotline or Carracho. Its
where all those liberated from copyrights hang out.
;-)

Joe

--- Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.tolkien-ent.com/new/index.html
> Ed
> web/gadget guru
>
> --- "Michael L. Kaufman" <kaufman_at_cindercon.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > >As an aside I find this discussion interesting
> > because I was able to
> > >download the LOTR ebooks in Palm DOC format for
> > free from one of the better
> > >ebook sites. So, I'm *not sure* what the
> official
> > word is on Tolkien's
> > > books. It may be that his son put them into the
> > public domain.... Perhaps
> > > it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a definitive
> > answer on this....?
> >
> > They are defiantly not in the public domain. I
> would
> > be curious as to which
> > of the Palm Ebook sites has them.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > --
> >

> =====
> note: This does not constitute a sig file...

=====
Joseph S. Kallo
Department of Philosophy
Southern Illinois University Carbondale