Re: [NTLK] going cellular- sorta

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 17:58:41 EST

Before you pay for the phone, perform this check.
Motorola created two DPC650's.
One that was pre-data and the other that came out to
take advantage of data.
Pop off the battery and look for a logo on the
instruction sticker. The logo will look like two
arrows pointing to each other, one pointing down and
one pointing up. There will be the indicator of mc2
(squared) next to the logo.
If this logo is not there, check the serial number and
see if it says EE2 in the beginning. If you have
either of these two things, then yes...you have a
data-ready Motorola "Flip Phone"
Now...as far as a capabilities...you can usually get
the cellect modem and cable as a surplus kit for about
$35. I have seen it cheaper, but not recently. Check
eBay.
There are also two modems that will work here. One is
a Motorola Cellect and the other is a Motorola
Montana. The Cellect is a 14.4 modem and the Montana
is a 33.6 modem...but considering that you probably
will not get better than 9.6 on a cell phone
anyway...well....make your decision.

If you can't find either, let me know. I have a
Cellect modem with the DPC650 data cable. Make me an
offer. It's slightly used and I might be able to find
the manual if I start looking for it right now!
Ed
web/gadget guru

<http://www.motorola.com/GSS/CSG/direct_phones/accessories/connectivity/cellconk
> it.htm>
> would work with, should we decide to become modern
> sometime, would be also
> appreciated (my assumption is, I'd have to buy a new
> cable later on if I
> got a different motorola phone). I looked for a
> cross-reference chart but
> none leapt out.
>
> I'm thinking that if I bring Newton, modem/ethernet,
> phone, phone-to-data
> cables, portable inkjet printer on a trip, I should
> just give up and get a
> tool belt to hang it all upon, like the old Dilbert
> cartoon "..looks like
> someone just had a fax...."...the awful thing it, I
> can justify having all
> that crud, sometimes.

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...