Re: [NTLK] Platform crap...

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 01:42:43 EST

Sounds like my first "computer"
It was an RCA-Cosmac ELF.

It was an 8 character nixxie tube display with a
whopping 4k ram (volitile) a hexidecimal keypad key
entry. Programmed in assembler and there was no
permanent storage. well, not if you count my writing
the program down on paper and keying it in everytime I
wanted to run it! Several months later, I acquired an
8k bubble memory card that was able to save my
programs as long as I had a fully charged 9v battery
hooked up when it was powered down!
I created additional programming by using DPDT
micro-switches for additional gates. It eventually
grew into a daisy chained s-100 buss that spanned over
6 feet across my desk. I hated to put that thing in
storage...but there was only so much you could do with
what eventually became 16kb memory (paged in 4kb
virtuals)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Sushi <Sushi_at_ragingbull.com> wrote:
<snip>!

> Yep, disk drives are a waste! :-o ;-)
>
> BTW, one of my favorite computers that I owned was a
> nibble (4 bit)
> computer. Programming was fun. It took two nibbles
> to equal a byte.
>
> Sushi
>
> --

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...